Last night I had an interesting dream. I cried in it. So what, I am a sensitive person, apparently even in dreams. The interesting part was that I was crying while reading a passage from the Bible. When I woke up I found that passage: Mark 8:33-38. And it became my centering on God time this morning. It might be one of the most challenging and potentially misunderstood passages. We see Jesus firmly putting Satan in his place, and apparently it’s the same place where us wee humans are too; “We do not know the things on God’s mind.” What are those things? Jesus quickly answers that one: Self-denial; cross carrying; and following Jesus. What’s on God’s mind is being in relationship with others and Lordship. First, self-denial. Making Jesus the Lord of my life. Put Jesus on the throne in all parts of my life. Second, cross-carrying. Is there a modern equivalent to this? It reminds me of Simon of Cyrene, who was the first to carry Jesus’ cross – literally. Can you imagine, you are living your life, going about your daily business, taking a little road trip to Jerusalem, then bam! Your plans are interrupted, your to-do list for the day gets suddenly trashed, and you’re stuck carrying a cross for someone. It must be heavy, awkward, exhausting… The feeling I would get if I were to literally carry a cross is of hopelessness (because it probably would be the last thing I’d ever do…a walk to my execution). Carrying a cross seems like a “dead-end road.” It leads to death. What’s the point of cross-carrying? Do followers of Jesus today carry any crosses? Simon was carrying a cross and following Jesus at the same time. Now, if I want to save my life, I must lose it. I must lose control of my life. Looking at the big picture, I know that death is not the end of the story. Jesus died to live and conquer sin. I die to live and conquer sin – by following Jesus’ lead. I don’t know how hard it is to carry a cross, or suffer with Jesus. Still, there seems to be a “cost and gain” in following Jesus. I lose something so that I can gain something better and rightfully mine to receive. The paradox of the “cost and gain” of following Jesus is part of the life adventure. I am reminded of God’s character: “No good thing does he withhold from those whose walk is blameless.” I am not sure why I cried in my dream, but I am not surprised that I did, because this passage is very difficult and beautiful all at the same time. Perhaps they were tears of joy.

1 Comments:
The last verse you mentioned, Mark 8:38, is a heavy one. Why are people ashamed of the gospel of Christ and of Jesus. Where does this "Fear of Man" come from? I think it's a demonic attack to quench the spreading of the gospel by paralyzing believers with fear of what other people think. If we saw things clearly in the spiritual realm and in the light of eternity, I believe that we'd all act differently, including myself.
Post a Comment
<< Home