15.7.05

Coming back from an intense (and oddly ordinary) time in Africa I initially felt “uncomfortable with the comfortable”. I was hungry for a quick snack during my first week back and decided to take a casual peek into the fridge. I wasn’t prepared for my reaction. I didn’t know what to choose. With the door open, me staring at the abundant options, cold air escaping, I finally had to close the fridge. Round 2. Let’s have a concrete gameplan this time. I couldn’t think of one. The options overwhelmed me too much. Round 2 ended quicker than the first, my snacking hunger survived, I walked away empty. It left me feeling uncomfortable. These feelings have long since passed, thank God, and I love the abundance of living in a blessed country. If I wanted to I could satisfy my desires at anytime. Is this a blessing or curse in a consuming society? Too often I hear society saying, “satisfy your desires and then you will live life to the full.” Who the heck wants to live a boring life? Run after your desires… I have a lot of “self” in MY life. “Not my will be done, but Your will.” “Lose yourself…and then you will find true life.” A paradox. Impossible or possible? As I have been thinking of risk-taking, it is a large part of a radical run-of-faith lifestyle. The summer is starting to heat up. The masses are concerned with keeping cool (temperature and fashion “cool”). Am I going to be more interested with being cool than living at risk to the glory of God? What is it that I really want? This is a serious everyday question that needs answering. So far this summer I feel like I have fallen below my calling. I am not perfect. I guess I am a lot like the shaggy characters in Scripture. May I get down to the essentials of being a disciple of Jesus, and let go of ME to find Life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home